Neon America
October 20, 2020, 12:26:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Updated the Tech section of the site to include the TDC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) for ALL Neon's and SRT-4's. 1995-1999 and 2000-2005.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lighting questions  (Read 1020 times)
Aaron Paul
Global Moderator
Not too shy to talk

tidnab_98@hotmail.com
Email
« on: April 28, 2011, 08:17:09 AM »

Ok so my question is how to make the stock headlights or to build my own very cheap headlights that light up the road better at night?  I recall Northern talking to me about making my own french lipped style but that was just talk and we never really got to working on it.  Has anyone made a better headlight for the 98's.  I am not looking at spending a ton on it or I would just buy a set... I am more looking at making a unique looking very functional headlight that puts out more light than stock and looks good.

Other lighting question is the dome light... ok so I have a very bumpy car with the cheap coil over kit on there and its made my dome light become a strobe... corrective anyone?  I have already replaced all door switches and the relay but now it is so bad that I don't even have to move to make it go crazy... please help on this one the most... thanks

RaBit

THERE IS NO LOVE AS THERE IS FOR YOUR NEON!!! :rally:
Northern
Administrator
Online Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 03:57:23 PM »

hmmmm the french headlight...    Roll Eyes

Aaron, check ebay buddy...  there are afew lights out that will look good.
they even have the ones I had on the 99. i think they are 120 shipped, and if I recall you all said they hurt your eyes....    Grin

they even got the covered up version. these are Depo's

There are much better then the old fisheyed projector headlights that we had back in the day.

these are those headlights not to get, they are just a black version.

Northern
Administrator
Online Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 04:07:11 PM »

As for the dome light, pull all four door switches, if it still does it its going to be a bad wire and mostly in the dome light its self..

alot of the times its the switch on the light, on my ranger it was the drivers door witch
Aaron Paul
Global Moderator
Not too shy to talk

tidnab_98@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »

Ok as for the headlights how hard would it be to make my own like the kind you had on yours... it looks like a 4in and a 2.5 in driving light mounted as headlights.. just gotta build up the center and outer sections and mounting hardware...
  those headlights are running ( plus shipping to ak) around 150 to 200... little high for me right now
 4in fogs in ak are about $15-$25
 2.5 in about $10-$15
 Bondo and fiberglass about $25 for everything
  So we would be in the area of about $50 but then add labor and the time to make em... priceless having brighter and cheaper headlights...

If I do make them I will do a write up and share it for everyone.

Aaron Paul
Global Moderator
Not too shy to talk

tidnab_98@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:15:42 AM »

Ok so upon searching around I am noticing that there is a large amount of nockoffs out there. The first pics shows the true rallie-style neon headlights, second shows depo's version of projectors which is not that far off from the third ( only major difference is the projector on the 2nd is on the low side while on the 3rd is on the hi side) issues with both of them is only having one hid bulb to make the projector work correctly then waiting for it to heat up each time you shift from Hi to Low... ill pass plus they look like junk to me.. but thats just me...
  I love the look of the rallie edition and am still thinking that I will try to make my own... once pending funding for such a project and fully researching what I can use legally and get away with. Also need to know for sure the dims and specs which I am not finding online... suxs... but I will do it or something like it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:19:50 AM by Aaron Paul » Logged

Northern
Administrator
Online Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 08:15:49 PM »

if you find my old 99 running around, get the measurements off it.
I don't think there was another neon there that had the rally style head lights.
as for the tail lights there was a black 4door that had them... but again... I was the first...    Grin

lol, i just remembered, that green 4 door I had in the garage had... it the old style projection headlamps...   Roll Eyes

all I can say is map your oem headlight and start cutting some holes...
Aaron Paul
Global Moderator
Not too shy to talk

tidnab_98@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 08:41:45 AM »

Ok well I am searching online to see if I can find more specs on them but I will figure something out on it... Just trying to figure out the center and outer parts around the headlights.
  As for tails I am going to just use the ones I have or try sourcing another set of the 3 meatballs... either way I will just redo them by sealing the inner lens up and painting the housing to match the car giving the protruding look on both front and rear...  I think it would look good once I get it all done and painted up.. I may do some gimp edit drafts to just show how it would look..

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: